Welcome to the “BEACHES” house.
Stay on the water close to Hilo without staying downtown. Stay in a well landscaped home that is maintained to avoid mosquitos. Enjoy almost half an acre across the street from Richardson’s Beach Park. One of the 7 stops of the Hop-on Hop-off bus tours. Famous for their population of Green Sea Turtles and snorkeling. Enjoy the best snorkeling of east Big Island at your doorstep. Take out the kayak and learn to stand up paddle board.
NEED MORE SPACE? See below for our other 4 homes near this one.
Vacation Rental Highlights:
• Large, 3 (plus converted master closet), 2 baths. Sleeps 8
• 3.5 miles from Downtown Hilo, on south Hilo bay, 5 miles from Hilo Airport
• East Hawaii’s best snorkeling across the street at Richardson’s Beach Park.
• Free Kayak, paddle board, bikes, boogie boards, snorkel equipment, booties.
• Full ocean views, outside seating, fruit trees, parking.
• 99.9% of the East side of Hawaii is cliffs. But why settle for a house away from the water? This house is right across the street from Richardson’s Beach Park. Home of the best snorkeling in East Big Island. Hilo offers few places to enjoy the ocean. These special places are always beach parks.
• One of the newer Hilo vacation rental homes in the area built to very high standards.
• Outside seating on deck overlooking south Hilo bay. Additional deck outside master bedroom.
• House includes free use of Kayak, bikes, stand up paddle board, boogie boards, snorkel gear.
• House is completely stocked. Everything you need for cooking, plenty of towels, soap, shampoo, hair dryers. Ironing board/Iron, playpen, highchair and Cable Wifi.
STVR: 19-359743, NUC: 19-1363
• Living Room – Large couch and love seat with direct ocean views. Flat screen T.V. with Roku for Netflix, Sling TV, Youtube TV and many apps for tons of video options. Books and games for family fun. Cable Wifi.
• Kitchen – Everything you need. Coffee maker, blender, toaster, rice cooker, pots/pans. Lots of cooking tools. Large oven/range. View of Richardson’s Beach Park from kitchen window.
• Master Bedroom – Upstairs for privacy. King bed. Huge sink area and two-person shower. Master closet converted into beds #7 and #8, if required (mattresses can be moved anywhere). Ceiling fan. Private deck with seating and view of Richardson’s Beach Park.
• Bedrooms #2 and #3: On the same level as the living room and kitchen. One bedroom with a king bed and the other with two twin beds. The bathroom is between the two bedrooms. All homes have play pens.
• Master Bathroom: Shares the upper floor with the master bedroom. Huge master bathroom with double sink. Oversized double shower. Access to private deck. Bath towels, hand towels and wash cloths, hair dryer, shampoo and soap provided.
Master walk-in closet has two twin beds to be used as a "bedroom" if needed, or the mattresses moved downstairs if you wish.
• Main Bathroom: Large bathroom with bathtub/shower combination. Shampoo, soaps and paper goods, towels, hair dryer provided
There is more to do in and around Hilo than any town on any of the Islands. It just isn’t well advertised because there aren’t resorts to promote the area.
• Waterfalls - Boiling Pots, Rainbow Falls, Akaka Falls, Waipi’o Valley. Hike and swim at Narnia falls.
• Gardens – Hawaiian Botanical Gardens, Lili’uokalani Park and Gardens, Nani Mau Gardens, Akatsuka Orchid Gardens.
• Museums – Lyman’s historical and geological museum and The Tsunami museum. Both in downtown Hilo.
• Beach Parks – Richardson’s Beach Park, Onekahakaha Beach Park (the calmest), Carlsmith Beach Park, Reed’s Bay, Lehia Park. Punalu’u Beach Park and Whittington Park.
• Volcanic sights: Volcano National Park, Thurston lava tube, Kaumana Caves State Park, Pahoa transfer station, Live lava bike/hike tours in Kalipana Viewing area.
• Markets and shops: Hilo Farmer’s Market, Maku’u Farmer’s Market, Hilo Coffee Mill, Ka’u Coffee Mill, Volcano Winery and Mehana Brewery, Hilo Candy Company, Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut and Punalu’u Bake Shop
• Other – Hilo Zoo, Palace Theatre
• Shop large stores for all your supplies. Just a quarter mile above the Hilo airport is a Walmart, Target, newer Safeway, mall with modern movie theater and cute stores.
• Looking for familiar fast food? In the same area is a Burger King, Panda Express and Starbucks. Just up the street on the north side is a Subway, Jack in the Box, McDonalds and Domino’s Pizza.
According to Hawaii Vacation Rental ordinances, all vacation renters agree to the following if this property is booked:
1. Quiet hours shall be from 9:00 PM to 8:00 AM during which time the noise from the short term vacation rental shall not unreasonable disturb adjacent neighbors.
2. Sound that is audible beyond the property boundaries during non-quiet hours shall not be more excessive than would be otherwise associated with a residential area.
3. Guest vehicles shall be parked within the designated onsite parking area.
4. Failure to comply with the Good Neighbor policy states above will be construed to be a violation.
5. No commercial events shall take place at the property.
Registration Number: TA-102-026-6496-01,GE-102-026-6496-01
Home was perfect for our family and being right across the street from Richardson black sand beach park was perfect. Even though the weather didn’t cooperate a few days, we could watch the body boarders across the street. Close to town for easy access to shopping and dining and we took trips to Kilauea and the various waterfalls. Owners were very responsive to any questions we had.
The house was beautiful and well stocked. The view from the living room and primary bedroom were amazing! Love the enormous shower! We’d definitely stay there again.
We traveled as a group for a tennis tournament. Our group involved children, teenagers & adults.
The house accommodated everyone’s needs & space.
We would definitely stay there again.
Location was amazing with beautiful view of the ocean.
Jeff & Debbie V.
This place was a great place to stay, views & access to beach were superb! Had access to washer & dryer which was really nice when staying at 1 location for 10 days. Mainly cooked at home, kitchen was set up really good, the gas stove was nice! Would defiantly stay here again.
Our family was born and raised in Hilo, but needed a larger 'base camp' with in-laws, grandchildren, etc. We loved the indoor and outdoor spaces, & easy access to the beach.
- Fantastic location! We loved being across from Richardson's Beach and could see sea turtles there!
- Fully stocked home. Great to have snorkel gear.
Cons: (Most of these may not bother others)
- Screens are in need of repair or replacement. Since there are sizeable gap between the screens and frame, at least four geckos came into the home and several bugs.
- Mattresses sag and should be replaced, particularly on the 2nd floor. Our old backs needed firmer support.
- No A/C ... and it's pretty muggy in July. So while the house cools at night, it can be stifling to come back to rest in the afternoon.
This property is everything described in the listing except it is definitely NOT a luxury property. So before Richard berates and disagrees with me, I’ll just state the obvious—this review is a fair description of my experience and isn’t meant to agree or disagree with anyone else.
The house structure is not well maintained, particularly the windows—although some are in working condition, others have broken or missing screens and in the first floor bathroom there is a screen but no window. This may account for the bugs and small lizards in the house. The house is hot, even with the use of the very loud, very strong whole house fan. You have to sleep with the windows open and the ceiling and room fans on to get any ventilation—the house usually cools down by 2am. Between the fans and tree frogs it could be difficult to fall asleep if noise bothers you. The pictures in the listing don’t reflect the current state of the property, it seems they are from the renovation done 10 years ago. The bed configuration is definitely different, the description is accurate, not the pictures. On the first floor there is a king size mattress on a queen headboard and in a separate room 2 twin beds. On the second floor there is a king size bed in the room and twin beds in the closet so you have to walk through one room to get to the other. A great arrangement when traveling with young children. The house needs a deep clean.
I had a lot of trouble getting email prior to our stay and Richard was exceptionally responsive in getting me the door code and other information I needed. He has also prepared a notebook about the area. It is in the dining room and definitely worth looking at. Lots of suggestions for activities. The Wi-Fi is the best I’ve had in a rental—strong and consistent signal. Many folks did not sign out of their streaming service so there are plenty to chose from including Netflix and Disney plus if you don’t mind using someone else’s subscription. Towels are plentiful, kitchen items and pantry are more than sufficient to get you started. The shower water is heated using solar energy; even though it was mostly cloudy during our 4 day stay there was no problem with having sufficient hot water for 4 adults. Plenty of parking and space to turn around so you aren’t backing out onto a busy road. There are lots of beachy-things and a grill available to use, although we did not have time to use them.
This beach house was perfect! Views of the ocean right across the street. Large windows all around the house for natural lighting. Everything you could want and more in a rental property. Fully stocked everything! From the kitchen with all cooking accessories and supplies at your disposal, bathroom necessities, and washer and dryer needs. Kids loved the nature books and board games. Having all the streaming services available was great! Especially Disney+! Having the washer and dryer in house was really convenient. Multiple beaches within a 5 minute drive. There were kayaks, stand up paddles boards, inflatables, boogie boards, and a whole storage area in the garage full of other outdoor goodies. The drive to Hilo was short and easy as were all the sights in the area.
Overall, I would definitely stay at this property again. I would also love to check out the 4 other properties the owner has in Hilo. They look amazing as well!
House was spacious, kitchen was well stocked to prepare family meals, and location is fabulous. Appreciate the available snorkeling gear!
Being right across the street from a black sand snorkeling beach made our stay wonderful! And the house is comfortable and clean with plenty of room for large groups, even though ours was small. The whole house fan kept the house cool, there was plenty of seating both indoors and out, with lovely views. We did buy earplugs to block the chirping of the coqui frogs! Definitely a great house and location!
We stayed over Memorial Day Weekend, beautiful location right across the street from the Ocean.
The house was stocked with things I never thought we needed. Even fresh cream in the refrigerator.
We are looking forward to staying again
The location and amenities were exactly what we had hoped for, truly wonderful stay!
Had a great time. Nice property. Great layout.
Location was beautiful, it is right across the street from Richardsons Beach Park. We could just walk across the street to enjoy the ocean and tide pools. We also enjoyed going to Carl Smith Beach Park about a mile down the road.
The property manager was very responsive, we were in need of a high chair and they delivered one on that day. They were also very helpful with a piece of luggage that was accidentally left at the home. They went out of their way to get is shipped back to us.
It is a little noisy on the weekend. There were motorcycles that seemed to enjoy making as much noise as possible as they went down the street.
The home is in some need of care. The railing on the steps looks to be rusted to the point that if someone leaned up against it, it would break off. The windows in living room and dining room are rusted to the point where they can not be closed.
A little worn around the edges but a great place for families. Has everything you may need. Great beach access.
The house was perfect! We spent most of our 4 days/time on the lanai overlooking the koi pond and at Richardson’s Beach park directly across the street. We found everything we needed to make our stay like home. The kitchen has everything needed, plenty of towels, and beach toys! The beds were comfortable and depending on the heat, we found the upstairs bedroom perfect for a breeze and listening to the ocean waves. During the day, we kept the windows closed with only the “floor” windows open which kept the house at a comfortable temperature and used the provided fans.
If we had to change anything - refuse to check out and having the ability to feed the koi. 😀
Richard was quick to respond to our questions and very easy to work with prior to our arrival. We would definitely rent this house again!
Our family of five (two adults, three teens) stayed for three nights. The house is directly across the street from an amazing park and beach. We strolled over and enjoyed our morning coffee overlooking the surf and the tide pools, and we found several turtles and Nene geese all before the Saturday crowds arrived. We had everything we needed for meals in the kitchen and it's a short ride into town for stores and restaurants. We didn't use the beach gear as we brought our own snorkeling stuff, but it looked like anything you might want was available (snorkeling at the beach was easy and fun). With all of the fans provided and thanks to a nice cross-breeze, we were able to keep the house cool enough. Richard provided lots of helpful pre-approval info, and even after we left graciously tried to help us find a wallet one of our boys misplaced. If your plans take you to Hilo, we would definitely recommend the Beaches house!
The house is very comfortable and at exceptional location. The pictures don't do the justice to the proximity of the beach and the beauty of the Richardson park across the street.
Use the "Visit Owner's Website" link to read more reviews from the reservation site, including the latest reviews submitted by recent guests.
Note: Vacancy calendar is approximate. Visit the owner/manager's reservation site to verify your dates.