Maui Kamaole (MK) is a low-rise, low-density complex consisting of 13 two story-building complexes, spread over 23 beautifully landscaped acres. It is one of Maui’s lowest density and premier condominium resorts. Each unit is more like a townhome than a conventional condo. The resort is meticulously maintained and beautifully landscaped and is by far the nicest resort in Kihei. MK has 2 pools/2Jacuzzis, 2 tennis courts and many BBQ areas. All of the first floor units at MK are one BR units (except a few which have converted a windowless den to a 2nd BR) and all of the second floor units like ours have 2 BR’s. Most of the 2 BR units (114 of 158 = 72%) are ~1052 sq ft of living space with the remaining 28% a little over 1200 sq ft. Ours is one of the larger units and also has significantly (~20%) larger Lanais. The 20% larger units provide a more comfortable stay. If a MK listing doesn’t mention its size, it is surely a smaller unit.
Maui Kamaole is located in south Kihei, an area most guidebooks describe as the “Sunny Gold Coast”. It is an upscale property that bridges the casual charm of Kihei and the elegance of the many 5* resorts in Wailea, starting just two blocks away. It is close to the restaurants, shops and the championship golf courses of Wailea and Makena. The spectacular Wailea Ocean Walking Trail is a short walk south. Across the street is one of Maui’s finest beaches, Kamaole Beach Park III, with picnic areas and a beautiful sandy beach where you can swim, snorkel, boogie board, surf or just relax in the sun or under one of the many shade trees. Lots of turtles frequent the waters around this beach. Kahului Airport is only 25 minutes away. The resort offers an on-site check-in agent with concierge services with brochures of activities and restaurants.
Maui Kamaole is a great resort and nearly all of the units here are nicer than those found at other resorts. However, as each unit is individually owned, furnished and maintained, there are considerable differences among units in desirability and upkeep. Below is a list of features of our unit that we believe sets our unit apart from other MK units. We suggest you use this list to compare our unit to others at Maui Kamaole (MK) or other resorts:
• 70+% of the Maui Kamaole 2 BR units are ~20% smaller (200+ sq ft). The extra space will enhance your comfort and enjoyment
• The main spacious private lanai has a motorized 8 x 18 ft retractable awning to allow comfortable seating on even the hottest days. It has a patio table that will seat 6 and a comfortable reclining chaise lounge. Less than 15% of MK units have a retractable awning
• In Nov 2019 we replaced all the carpeting with high-quality nylon carpeting (3X the weight of the carpeting used in most condo’s), repainted the unit and replaced or refinished all the chairs
• Over 80% of MK units have the noisy window style A/C units in the bedrooms. Ours are the much more expensive “Split” type where the noisy condenser is outside and the inside units are very quiet. If you have stayed in other MK units or motels with noisy window units you will greatly appreciate our ultra-quiet Mitsubishi Mr. Slim A/C’s
• We have a designer quality dining table that seats 6 inside and another 6-seat table on the patio. Most units have tables that only seat 4
• As it was difficult to buy quality furniture in Maui (as the stores there cater to rental units buying budget furniture), we bought all of our furniture at an upscale store on the mainland and had it shipped to Maui. Look closely at our photos vs those of other units to compare the differences.
• Having been in many MK 2 BR units, I can say that ours is the only one I know that has added a door to the upstairs BR for both privacy and to make it possible to keep this BR cool on hot days/nights. We also increased the A/C size from the 5000 to 9000 BTU found in nearly all units to 12,000 BTU, making it easy to cool the upstairs.
• Most 2BR units (>80%) are of the open loft type where the entire wall overlooking the Great Room is just an open lattice. Coupled with most units having no door and an underpowered window style A/C, these factors make the upstairs BR almost impossible to cool and the open wall also allows any noise from downstairs to disturb those in the upstairs BR. Ours has a window with shutters that mitigates these issues. When comparing units, look closely at the photos of the upstairs BR to see this significant difference
• Our BR’s are both equipped with new blackout drapes to let you sleep in if you desire. Most units just have shear drapes.
• Our building is the newest building at MK, 10+ years newer than most of the units. As a result it has nicer features and is in a better state of repair
• We provide high quality kitchenware including service for 6, a good selection of glassware with glasses for red & white wine, champagne, martini's etc. and plastic glasses for pool use. All kitchen utensils and silverware are of high quality with knives that are kept sharp. In addition to all the standard kitchen necessities we supply a toaster and toaster oven, Belgium waffle maker, rice cooker, large Wok as well as a full selection of utensils (see photo’s)
• We have a full size front-loading clothes washer and dryer, 3X the capacity of most MK units, making doing laundry much faster and reducing the number of loads you will need to wash. These also allow us to frequently wash the bedspreads and pillows, not possible with the standard washer/dryer in most MK condos. If you care about getting a unit where the bedspreads, pillows and blankets are kept clean this is a major benefit of our unit (e.g., if you don't have a washer/drier capable of washing the bedspreads and blankets, how often do you think they get cleaned).
• We have 3 HDTV's (58, 55 and 37 inch) making for more pleasant viewing. Both the 58” 4K set and the 55” are Smart TV’s set up to allow you to preview all your photos and connect to streaming services. The main 2019 58” TV has a new Digital Video Recorder to allow you to record shows and watch them later. All TV's have a DVD player (2 are BluRay). Unlike most MK units which have at most basic cable package with few if any HD channels, we have over 300 channels of TV, including 35+ in full HD. Why have HDTV with no HD channels, as is the case in most units which have elected for the minimum cable package?
• We have a large library of movies (280+, many kids favorites), all in HD. Most of our movies have an over 85% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, meaning that the movies we provide are actually worth watching, many of which are rated as in the top 100 of all time.
• We have a large CD music library featuring Hawaiian music
• We have a Sony PlayStation 3 to play games (6 games provided) and BlueRay DVD's
• We provide a huge collection of snorkel gear, boogie boards, ice chests, beach toys, tennis racquets, badminton sets, smash ball, etc to help your family enjoy your stay at no additional cost
• We have lots of infant and toddler items like a 2 portable cribs, an umbrella stroller, baby swing and bath, high chair, kids toys, kids movies, water floats and vests, small kids pool, etc
• Everything is tastefully designed and decorated
• Everything is kept new, fresh and meticulously maintained and clean
• Our entire building was recently painted and was tented for termites in November 2019
• Multiple sleeping options if you have more than 4 people or young kids
• In over 10 years we have had nothing but 5* reviews (over 80). We know of no other condo at MK that can claim they have had all 5* reviews
• High speed secure wireless internet (WiFi) as well as a wired Ethernet port.
• Two stereo's (one with IPod/IPhone docking station) and one with an MP3 player input with a large library of CDs (45+), including a good Hawaiian music library.
• A safe to secure your valuables
• A Digital bathroom scale, hair dryers, iron and ironing board are also provided
• A supply of books, guidebooks, jigsaw puzzles and games.
• Our sports utility closet is truly exceptional, greatly exceeding most if not all other condos. We have provided 6+ beach towels, 15+ sets of snorkels/masks/fins, 5 boogie boards, 6 sets of various size beach shoes, 4 noodles, 6 quality beach chairs, 3 beach umbrellas + 1 beach tent, lots of beach toys for kids & toddlers, 5 tennis and 3 badminton rackets, 4 beach SmashBall racquets, Frisbees, 5 different size ice chests and a full size backpack for serious hikers.
• There is a wireless telephone/answering machine with free local and long distance service (US, Canada and Mexico).
We have equipped this as our second home, used both by us and our 4 kids and 6 grandkids. Many Maui Kamaole and other condo units are owned by realtors/investors and furnished with making a maximum return. Instead, we have tried to think of everything to make your stay (and ours) comfortable and memorable. As the locals say, “Maui no ka oi” or Maui is the best!
Registration Number: GE-143-531-6224-01, TA-14