About Maui GPS Tour Guide
Using the GPS built into the iPhone or iPad 3G/4G, the Tour Guide knows exactly where you are and alerts you to hidden beaches, scenic lookouts, historic sites, hikes, waterfalls, snorkel spots and all of Maui's most interesting tourist attractions.
You'll also learn about Maui's history and geography.
The App is split into two parts: the base application, and the GPS tours. If your device doesn't have a GPS (iTouch, or iPad WIFI-Only) you can still purchase the base application.
The base application includes the following:
- Comprehensive beach and snorkeling guides.
- Guides for Maui's hikes, waterfalls, and scenic attractions.
- Interactive map showing exact locations.
- Directions via Google maps.
- Weather and surf forecasts.
- Maui background information: regions, maps, weather statistics, safety guides and more.
Optionally, you can also purchase 5 GPS Tours from inside the App as In-App purchases, and have Tour Guide talk to you as you drive around Maui. The 5 tours cover:
- The Road to Hana and Beyond (
- Haleakala National Park and surrounding area (
- West Maui including Historic Lahaina (
- South Maui from Kihei to La Perouse Bay (
- Central Maui and Iao Valley State Park (free with any tour purchase)
- Buy all the Tours for only
The App gives detailed information about each so you can decide which ones you're interested in.
Special Note for iPod Touch and iPad WIFI-Only Users
You may still purchase the optional Tours, but because your device does not contain a GPS, the Tour Guide does not know your location and can not talk to you as you drive. However, you can examine the Tour Guide's points of interest on the Tour map, and play the audio associated with each point. This works well when you have a good idea of your location, for example, the Historic Lahaina Walking Tour, or when a passenger in the car can activate points as you drive.
Note: the iPad 3G/4G Does have a GPS!